Monday, May 5, 2008

A little lame in one leg on a Sunday

So here I am laid up in Burgos for a couple of days...can´t say I´m all that unhappy about it either.

I´ve had 10 days on the Camino now and it´s feeling a little bit like the Camino autobarn, there are hundreds, yes - I mean hundreds, of German´s on this. My German is coming along nicely, as for my Spanish all I can confidently say is 'cafe con leche y tortilla por favor' and 'una cerveza por favor', oh, and 'gracias' comes in handy too. Ok that might be stretching it a bit, I guess I´ve got more Spanish than that, actually I´ve been surprising myself at how my lessons have paid off, can´t string together a sentence and I still get flustered when people talk to me but its a start.

Don´t get me wrong, I like the Germans, most of them are great and I´ve made a couple of friends - actually some of them are Austrian and its very funny the rivalry there, kinda like Australia and New Zealand - I explained very carefully to them how Australia likes to claim any achievement by any New Zealander as their own - just look at Russell Crowe ;)

Well, the title of this blog, what does it mean...for those of you who have followed my Facebook blogs to date (all 2 of them!) you may recall I have been complaining about my feet being sore. Well, I´ve finally pushed myself into a rest day or two, they are aching like I never knew feet and lower legs could, I´ve been limping along - I´m not alone there, quite a common sight on the Camino - but it´s now at the stage that I really have to rest.

I caught the bus from Santo Domingo, an odd little place, I´m coming down with a cold and couldn´t wait to book into a nice place here in Burgos and put my feet up, have a HOT shower and some decent food and a chance to rest. I felt like a bit of a cheater until I saw all the other Camino cripples limping onto the bus too!

that´s it for now - I´m going to post the old blogs up here too so others (not on facebook - ludites) can see them.

adios and will no doubt blog a bit more tomorrow

No comments: