Tuesday, May 13, 2008

vino tinto gives you power

as does a lunch of bocadillo con chorizo y tomata from Señor Gabon in the little besa-brick hut next to his vineyard just outside of Valtuille de Arriba.

Señor Gabon gave me a sample of the preservative free wine he makes to have with my bocadillo, I must point out that the Señor gave me a sample from the bottle I just bought - sharp businessman! He´s set up a good little sideline in food and drinks on the way out of town, there´s no bar in the town and you´re about ready for a sit down being 3.5km from Villafranca. the wine is great, the view over the vines is typical and the service, fantastic, you get a nice little chat in Spanish, but slow enough to get the gist of most of it.

today´s leg of the Amazing Race - lo siento...I mean, my Camino - was largely through the outskirts of Ponferrada and along main roads through a variety of towns then ending up winding through vineyards...as I´ve said before - its a tough gig ;) . The track ran under massive power lines most of the time and its was crazy spooky hearing the electricity crackle with the intermittent rain.

My feet, well, they´re sore again, 23km today - still a bit phlegmy from the flu but feeling well enough to plod along. If only I could get over the foot thing, I tend to really get into the walking after about 15km, and that´s just the point that the grimace creeps across my face. I was having tea in a small village and massaging my feet - an old guy leaving the bar said something to me in Spanish and laughed sympathetically, I just laughed right along with him - what can you do eh?

this internet cafe is very expensive so I´m going to spare you the insights I had last night in Ponferrada...

hasta luego

No comments: