Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The best laid plans...

Well, my first night in Burgos was pleasant enough though marred by a restless night´s sleep - it would appear I´m not used to a good bed anymore! - a sore throat and the makings of a cold...curses.

So, as I expected, the trip/pilgrimage/backpacker holiday has required some contingency planning, lucky I like to plan :)

I´m now thinking of catching a train to Astorga and walking short days from there. Astorga is still 230 odd km from Santiago so combine that with the 200 or so I´ve already walked and I think that´s a pretty fair whack. Of course, I am battling with myself about 'cheating' but really, this is a modern day pilgrimage and it has certainly thrown up many a challenge already and made me think about a lot of things.

I´ve probably already said this but Burgos is beautiful, sits on a river and has a lovely old part of town, there´s sculpture in the street, people out and about - and the best thing about being in a hotel is that I don´t have to run back to the albergue before they close the doors at 10pm....oh, and I didn´t have to pack my backpack for one day...pure luxury.

I think its about lunchtime, off to get something scrummy, have a look at the gothic cathederal and then a siesta I think.

A pilgrim´s life is very very hard!

adios muchachos
M

No comments: