Thursday, May 8, 2008

the kindness of strangers

ah Astorga, what a lovely place - the people here are very friendly, the albergue staff are letting me stay an extra night, they could see how sick I am (sneezing and snorting on them probably gave the game away).

I´m going to head off to the Museum of Chocolate...mmm...may have to visit the correos and post some stuff back - I´m becoming quite an expert on that subject! It´s amazing how little you really need in life when all you´re doing is pottering about in a foreign land, walking, washing, eating, writing - I guess you could translate that back to your life at home too - that´ll be my post Camino challenge.

Well, I am well and truly itching to get back on the track now - my 4 days off has done wonders for my mood and attitude to the Camino. Being here in Astorga has helped immensely - it´s as if the first part of my trip was an education, the lesson learnt being to leave your expectations at the border and just go with whatever this experience throws up at you. I think the second part of my trip will be much more relaxed, shorter days and wiser about how to cope with the Camino crowds and perhaps some more insight as to what this is all going to be about.

I had a lovely experience in a small 'pilgrim shop' (one of those many shops selling souviners, inner soles, walking poles etc) - I bought some postcards and inner-soles and chatted to the guy. He was telling me he´d done the pilgrimage 3 times now and after the 3rd he moved from Barcelona to Astorga. He was telling me how it will change me, I may not realise it immediately but it will change me and you will see it in my eyes...better take a before and after shot then!

No comments: