Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pain in Puente la Reina

who knows what day it is, that´s a rhetorical question...I´m finding the only numbers that mean anything are kilometers (but even they are a bit dodgey as no two sources of the number of km to the next town are the same) and Euros (nothing ambiguous about those!)

Pamplona seems like a long way away, but I only left this morning, feels like the Camino proper has begun. Climbed to the top of Alto something or other and saw all the wind turbines, they´re so beautiful and the pelegrino sculptures, lots of photos opps there.

The race out of Pamplona to Puenta la Reina began just before 7am and ended for me today at 3.30pm - something between 24-28km depending on who you trust. My mental state was better this morning, I was singing, swinging my walking poles like some pilgrim marching girl...now there´s a thought. But by the time I´d scaled Alto? (can´t bend to pick up my guide book, sorry) - my feet were so sore I was hobbling and grimmacing. I didn´t think it could get any worse. I´ve discovered 2 small blisters on my little toes, they tuck under the next toe, but they´re not nearly as bad as the internal bruising (or is that compound fractures) on the balls of my feet...and to make matters worse i have to stand up to type this!

Still, its a great experience, even better if you can limit the number of Germans you hang out with, I have made some very nice German friends but it does seem like half the people on the camino are German!

But here I am, it must be cerveza time.

adios...I need to sit down
Megan

1 comment:

Grandpa Joe said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog, why do you worry about "cheating"? It is your camino, enjoy it without guilt.

Climbed to the top of Alto something or other and saw all the wind turbines, they´re so beautiful

Megan, can we recruit you to speak to people who prefer to live without electricity rather than to look (see?) the sleek wind-turbines? This is not a facetious comment.